

Chief Minister V D Satheesan has announced plans to introduce a new mechanism to strengthen rescue and search operations for fishermen following the Neendakara boat tragedy, in which two fishermen died and another remains missing.
After visiting the families of the deceased and missing fishermen, Satheesan said all available resources were being coordinated for the ongoing search and maintained that there had been no lapse in the operation. He assured the affected families of government support.
The Chief Minister said a new standard operating procedure would be prepared to improve emergency response at sea. The Coastal Police would be modernised, while the traditional knowledge of local fishermen would be incorporated into search and rescue operations. The government would also review existing insurance provisions for fishermen.
Satheesan faced criticism from the families and fishing community over remarks concerning the missing fishermen and demands for an apology. He acknowledged the anger among the affected families and said criticism of the government was expected in such circumstances.
He also described coastal erosion in the area as severe and said steps would be taken on an urgent basis to construct a seawall. The government would draw on lessons from previous disasters, including the Ockhi cyclone and floods, while revising the existing response system.
Meanwhile, the family of John, who has been missing from the Vizhinjam coast, demanded an apology from the Chief Minister over his remarks. His daughter Jiji said the family was more concerned about strengthening the search operation than receiving a visit for consolation.
Home Minister Ramesh Chennithala and Fisheries Minister V E Abdul Gafoor visited John's family amid growing dissatisfaction over the pace of the search operations. Chennithala assured the family that the government would continue efforts to locate the missing fishermen.
Abdul Gafoor said local fishermen with detailed knowledge of the sea would be brought into search operations. He also said new guidelines would be issued to improve rescue efforts and strengthen the warning system.
Search operations for three fishermen missing at sea continued on Monday. The Navy deployed INS Kalpeni in the Vizhinjam and Muthalapozhi areas, while the Coast Guard continued efforts to locate Gautham, who went missing from Neendakara.